I attempted to mimic malachite for today’s “nature” theme using water marbling. I don’t know what I was thinking! Water marbling has long been my nemesis and today’s attempt was no different than any of the other times I’ve tried – I got pissed, made a huge mess, and the final product wasn’t even worth it. Sigh. Polishes used:
I put one coat of Milani’s White On The Spot as my base, although in retrospect I should’ve used my lightest green color, since it was very sheer when I marbled with it and the white came through, messing up the effect on a few nails. I got all my supplies ready – cup of room temp tap water, millions of Q-tips, dotting tool, remover, tweezers, tape, and the polishes.
I taped around my nails for easier clean up (ha!), then unscrewed all the caps because time is essential in water marbling and started dropping colors in – I think at first I did lightest to darkest, but each and every single freakin’ time, after the third or fourth drop, the color refused to spread out. I jiggled the cup and sometimes the drop would spread a bit, but not over the whole water area like it’s supposed to.
I experimented to see if it was a specific polish or combo, but it didn’t seem to matter. Eventually I just started putting a bunch of drops in close contact with each other, dropping other colors on top of those, and attempting to spread those out with my dotting tool. Sometimes it would work, sometimes the second I put my dotting tool in the water all the polish would wrap around the dotter and be un-useable, meaning I had to clean it out and start again. Plus, for some reason these dried with little bumps/bubbles, which has never happened to me before. Grrrrrrrr.
Water marbling is super hard because it takes so much work and makes a huge mess, but I keep attempting it because a few times it works and looks amazeballs. I’ve even looked at tutorials for “dry water marbling” but they seem to be just as much work. Sigh. It bothers me because this is something that should for all intents and purposes be easy, but I just can’t quite master it. At least it’s somewhat comforting to know that a lot of other people have issues with it, as well.
Bleh I’m so over this. I’ll probably keep my thumbs since I actually think those both turned out cool – of not exactly the effect I was going for – and paint the rest plain green. Ah well, better luck next time! Thank you for reading, see you next time – A x